WHY?

Trisha Brown and many others have dedicated their lives to modern dance for very little recognition. This begs the question why any of this matters. What is the point of spending the time, energy and money on something that is not always accepted. Artists such as these are vital in order to keep modern dance alive. They push boundaries and encourage artists to experiment and not concern themselves with what it pleasurable and "normal". Without them modern dance may never have come into existence. Each experiment and risk has made modern dance what it is today, and an ever changing art. She may be controversial, but to me that means she's doing it right.



"Roof Piece" (1971)

"Homemade" (1966) projector strapped to her back


3 comments:

  1. This last statement is your MANIFESTO. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this section was great. It was a very efective way to end your blog. This shows your feeling and committment to Trisha Brown's work and MModern dance as a whole. It was a great staement and I agree with it completely! Well done...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Selene, your last statement leaves a lasting impression and is a very strong way to end your blog. I would love to see one of Trisha Brown's pieces, especially the "Roof Piece" or "Man Walking Down The Side of The Building." She brought New York City to life with her innovative choreography and abstracted movement. As you stated on my blog, I also find it interesting that many artists studied with Louis Horst but also found individuality in their approach to choreography. This proves how diverse modern concert dance is and how it is constantly changing. I particularly appreciate Trisha Brown's approach to postmodern dance. I like how she integrated pedestrian movement with physicality and technology. I would love to see her company perform :)

    ReplyDelete